Friday, September 4, 2009

Quilting...Past.Present.Future

I'm on pins and needles waiting for my fabric to arrive in the mail for my new quilting project! So In the mean time I have decided to write about all my past projects and on to what I am doing now.

Below is my very first quilt. I had decided to make a quilt during the summer after my sophomore year of college so I called upon the help of my best friend's mom who is an avid quilter and craft maker. She gave me countless quilting books to look through to find the perfect pattern. I finally decided on a windmill pattern. Then it was on to the fabric store for fabric this was my favorite part I love finding coordinating fabrics. The backing fabric is filled with cute little ladybugs I had to mention that since you can't see them clearly in the photo. As I made the quilt she guided my through the process sharing many tips from her years of experience. I pieced the top by machine and did the quilting by hand. I loved the whole process.
Several years went by before making another one. My next two quilt projects were just block quilts with stitching at the corners of the blocks to secure the quilt.

This one I made for my first apartment, instead of batting for the middle I used an imitation down blanket, which makes it nice and fluffy. Now it has made its home in our guest bedroom.

The last one was a Christmas gift for my Husbands parents. The middle used for this one was batting. I love paisley fabrics...


Now for my new project!! To start I want to let you know what spurred me on to do another quilt. The past 3 quilts were spread out by 7 years because of full-time school and then a full-time job. Well now we have moved and I have no job (trust me I am looking) but in the meantime I need a project to fill my time. My loving husband suggested I make another quilt, which I thought was a superb idea. I have decided to make a quilt for my wonderful parents. After a week or so of collaborating with my mom on what she wanted pattern and fabric wise, I am almost ready to begin just waiting on the fabric. My mom decided on the cathedral windows pattern, and I am so excited that she did because I have seen this quilt several times and thought it would be fun and challenging to make. So when I googled the "cathedral window quilt pattern" this wonderful blog post from 2007 came up with step by step instructions I couldn't believe it she makes it look so easy! Which made me even more excited about the project cause now I feel like it is very doable. I can't wait to start! Check back for updates on my quilting progress.

5 comments:

  1. I like the paisley one, both chic and classic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the progress on the cathedral window quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun blog to follow! I am excited to see the progress of the cathedral window quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb-loving the blog...can't wait to keep reading. Also, check out this one if you want: http://gabbygibblet.blogspot.com/
    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness "simplymae", how cute are you?!

    Those quilts are gorgeous - you are so talented! I'm sure the material you found is going to be beautiful.

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my lamp!

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete